Frequently Asked Questions

926C RETIRED/SEPARATED (31 Series MOS, 35L, 351L, 35E, 0132, 0083,1810,1811)

Yes, if you separated due to medical reasons, you are able to apply even if you do not have the 10 years aggregate service. You will need to show proof of separation (DD FM 214) and your documentation should show medically separated.

For retirees/separated, the QLEO date is 10 years after graduation from tech school.

No, you are not required to submit proof of qualification to the vender. If you decide to carry concealed and you are stopped by a law enforcement officer, he/she may ask for proof of weapons qualification, which you must provide or take the ride.

• The short answer to your question is "We don't know." The service is not responsible for weapons qualifications under LEOSA. That is the individual's responsibility. We strongly suggest you read the law, DoDI, Service Directives, and consult with your local law enforcement agency to determine if CA's CCL suffices for the firing requirement under LEOSA. • To be clear, 926C credential holders who desire to carry concealed are required to fire, at least once during the last 12 months, a State Certified Law Enforcement course of fire conducted by a state certified firearms instructor. In those cases where a state does not have a certified LE CoF, the Individual Service Qualification for Handguns is the standard and it must be instructed by a State Certified Firearms Instructor. The service Combat Arms ranges and personnel are prohibited from utilizing or conducting this training.

Section enforces the exact verbiage from the law. What we know is if you were Army LEO, you had that authority under the UCMJ. Therefore, all your DD 214 needs to say is you were Army LEO for the requisite minimum 10 years.

Comprehensive background checks are required for all eligible applicants, with particular focus on violations of the Lautenberg Amendment to the Gun Control Act of 1968. Information relating to this process can be found on the application. If you choose to use one their fee is $50, if you choose not to use one it will take at least 60 days and your fee ($18) goes to the FBI. DCS will need to see the results of the check once completed. DO NOT submit your fingerprints as a part of your LEOSA package.

You are correct, the medical letter requirement was rescinded by OPMG: No medical letter required since the DD-214 and the application will confirm they are "medically sound" to possess a firearm.

No, this means we are waiting for the Army to let us know if it is approved or more information is needed. It's a good thing to see your application Pending Validation, you've passed the initial review.

No, only one or the other needs to be submitted. It is your choice to do it online or by mail.

No, you must use a personal computer or cellphone to make a payment.

Your FBI Identity History Summary must be current within 3 months of application submission.
926B ACTIVELY SERVING (31 Series MOS, 35L, 351L, 35E, 0132, 0083,1810,1811)

Yes, under 926B if they are active and meet all the requirements. And under 926C if they retire/separate with more than 10 yrs.

Misdemeanors are not an issue addressed in DoD guidance as it pertains to LEOSA. All members (AD, Guard/Reserve, DACP, Retired or Separated) wanting cards need to meet their specific requirements annotated in the Army Directive in order to be issued cards.

You could qualify for either one.

You are correct, Per OPMG: "The 6-year requirement is no longer relevant. 926B applicants are authorized as long as they have proper documentation that they HAVE GRADUATED from the schoolhouse (MP School or acceptable formal LE Training School) and currently hold an MP MOS. This is IN ADDITION TO THE PRE-EXISTING REQUIREMENTS (one of which is the Commanders Letter, which means they must be actively serving in, and assigned to a unit), and is only applicable to 926B applicants."
TOPIC – CC Verification Letter

Your commander should provide you with a reason for not verifying your application. The commander’s signature on your application verifies you are not or have not been in violation of Lautenberg Act issues and negates the need for an FBI background check. I would suggest you use your chain of command and request a written reason for non-verification. Once you have that you may still apply, and your submission will be adjudicated by the Service Program Manager.

If your TDY location CC will sign your endorsement letter, that is fine. You need to ensure all of your requirements are met prior to having him sign the letter for you.

• IAW with Army Directive 2015-3: • Suspension: Individuals receiving credentials under section 926B will have their credential suspended if the local commander places them on a “Do Not Arm” roster. Individuals will surrender their LEOSA credential to the commander until it is returned or permanently suspended. • Revocation: If any individual issued an Army LEOSA credential is found to be prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm, they will have their credential immediately revoked in accordance with DoD Instruction 5525.12. 926B credential cardholders will surrender their credential to the local installation provost marshal, who will destroy the credential and documents the revocation and destruction in a memorandum for record to the OPMG. A letter of revocation will be sent to the 926C credential cardholder and their local law enforcement agency instructing the return of the credential to the OPMG.

You are correct, if you choose to get a 926B it is no longer valid upon retirement and you will need to transfer over to the 926C. You will need to meet the requirements for the 926C and have 10 yrs. of service as a QLEO or been medically separated.

Since you are no longer LEO you will need to apply for the 926C Separated. You need to have a Personnel Document to show your 10 yrs. as a LEO before cross training.

Click on the Submissions tab, scroll down to the Service Request button then select Category Change from 926B to 926C. ***Do not begin a new 926C application.***

If an individual fails his or her handgun weapon qualification as required by LEOSA, this process does not render their LEOSA credential invalid. This only mean that person cannot carry concealed until they qualify on the handgun weapon qualification required by LEOSA. A Commander cannot legally take someone's LEOSA credential.

In most circumstances, LEOSA supersedes state laws but not for state firearm restrictions. For example, the state may restrict the size of a magazine an individual is allowed to carry. Members need to ensure they are familiar with the state handgun laws they may transit through.

NO, you will NOT be allowed to carry an issued M9, you must procure your own semi-automatic handgun if you choose to carry. This credential only recognizes you as a qualified Law enforcement officer, and allows you the protection from state laws that prohibit you from carrying concealed weapons for personal protection, IF you choose to carry. The credential is intended for OFF-DUTY concealed carry, as a private citizen.

If you are qualified with the M9 you may carry any handgun. Caliber types depend on your state and local laws.

Active duty LEO fall under 926B of 18 U.S.C. (LEOSA) and do not have to be certified in the state in which they reside. They only have to be authorized to carry the M9 by successfully completing the service handgun qualification course of fire and be on an arming roster. Only 926C (retired or separated LEO with 10+ years of service as a LEO) have to carry, in conjunction with the service issued LEOSA credential, proof that they have successfully completed the course of fire for law enforcement officers in that state. If no state requirement exist, the course of fire of any LE organization in that state will suffice. The course of fire must be administered by a firearms instructor certified by that state. Bottom line, if you are active duty, what state you are in is irrelevant.

If the member is still serving (926B) as an Army or Service Civilian Police, the police organization handgun qualification suffices (i.e. Qualification Card). If the member is separated or retired (926C) the requirement is for a "State Certified" firearms instructor to conduct the state LE equivalent handgun qualification. This does not mean the State must conduct the training. Whatever form of proof of qualification the firearms instructor provides will need to be hand carried by the member carrying concealed at all times. In the instances where the state does not have a LE Handgun Standard, the service handgun qualification course conducted by a state certified firearms instructor will be the requirement. Please keep in mind that all weapons qualification will be at the member's expense.

Yes, after the 5 years has expired you will need to pay the renewal fee (lower cost). Army 926B only, 926C are good Indefinite.

A certified member copy is fine (Member copy 2, 3 or 4).

We have produced all the informational packages we can without bringing future perceived liability onto the service. LEOSA does not empower the individual to act on behalf of the Service in any capacity under LEOSA. We have directed folks to FOP and NRA websites to gain the required information for them to be able to act properly. Note: LEOSA is the responsibility of the individual and the individual must exercise good judgment and understanding of the laws and limitations surrounding LEOSA. There is nothing prohibiting the private sector for filling this gap. The Services are simply providing a credential identifying the individual as being an Active/Separated/Retired Qualified Law Enforcement Officer and will have nothing to do with weapons qualifications.

No, LEOSA does not change local base access conceal carry procedures. Only your installation commander can change these procedures.

Yes, Per OPMG: the following credentialed 35L, 351L, or 35E series counterintelligence (CI) agents' applications***"Regardless of the Soldiers’ current assignment, for the purpose of this directive and 18 U.S.C. § 926B(c)(2), Soldiers in the 31 series military occupational specialty; credentialed 35L, 351L, or 35E series counterintelligence (CI) agents; and Department of the Army Civilian Police (DACP) who meet all other requirements under 18 U.S.C. § 926B(c) will be considered “authorized by the Army to carry a firearm.” While these individuals are considered to be “authorized by the Army to carry a firearm,” this does not amend already established law and policy, including procedures in Army Regulation 190-14, governing the process of when and how military police, credentialed CI agents, and DACPs are armed. That is, “authorized by the Army to carry a firearm” means the individual is eligible to carry.

Please login to your account, click on the Submissions tab, then click on Service Requests and select General Change.

You most likely have multiple unfinished applications that are still in progress. You may delete those applications by clicking on the Submissions tab.

Please use your personal computer or smart phone to make a payment.